- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1 teaspoon curry powder
- Coarse salt and ground pepper
- 2 cans (14 1/2 ounces each) reduced-sodium chicken broth (about 3 1/2 cups)
- 2 pounds carrots, peeled and cut into 1-inch chunks
- 1 to 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons coarsely chopped fresh cilantro, for garnish (optional)
Prep Time: 20 minutes
Cook Time: 25 minutes
Heat butter in a Dutch oven or large (4- to 5-quart) saucepan over medium heat. Add onion, curry powder, 2 teaspoons salt, and 1/4 teaspoon pepper. Cook, stirring occasionally, until onion is soft, about 5 minutes.
Add broth, carrots, and 3 cups water; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover, and simmer until carrots are tender, about 20 minutes.
In a blender, puree soup in batches until smooth; transfer to a clean saucepan. Add more water to thin to desired consistency. Reheat, if necessary. Stir in lemon juice. Serve garnished with cilantro, if desired.
Thank you to Martha Stewart for the recipe and photo.