- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 tsp. chopped fresh thyme
- 1 tsp. chopped fresh marjoram
- 1 tsp. finely grated lemon zest
- Pinch crushed red pepper flakes (optional)
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 12 (1/4-inch-thick) slices heirloom tomatoes (from 3 to 4 medium)
- 8 (1/4-inch-thick) slices eggplant (from 1 medium eggplant)
- 2 balls buffalo mozzarella (5 to 7 oz. each), cut into 8 slices
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 5 minutes
Prepare a medium-high gas or charcoal grill fire. In a medium bowl, mix the olive oil, thyme, marjoram, lemon zest, red pepper flakes (if using), 1/4 tsp. salt, and 1/8 tsp. pepper.
Brush the tomato and eggplant slices with 1 Tbs. of the herb oil. Season with 1/4 tsp. salt and a few grinds of pepper. Marinate the mozzarella in the remaining oil.
Grill the eggplant, flipping once, until nicely browned and tender, 2 to 3 minutes.
To serve, put a tomato slice on four plates. Top each with a slice of eggplant, then a slice of mozzarella. Repeat, ending with a tomato slice. Drizzle with any remaining oil and serve.
Thank you to Fine Cooking for the recipe and photo.