- 1 pound sweet or hot Italian sausage (or both) 2 Tbs. olive oil
- 1 1/2 cups sliced spring onions (red or white onions are fine as well)
- 3 cloves chopped garlic
- 1 bunch young swiss chard chopped
- 2-3 young turnips sliced in matchstick pieces
- 1 chopped zucchini or several handfuls of pea pods 1/2 cup (more or less)
- low sodium chicken broth 1/2 cup or to taste,
- ½ chutney (a tomato variety)
- 3/4 tsp fennel seed
Cook sausages over the grill or remove from casing and sauté in a large pan with 2 Tbs. olive oil if the sausage is lean.
When most of the pink is gone, add the onion, garlic and cook to sweat the onion. Continue to add the other vegetables. Season w/ salt, pepper, fennel, and crushed red pepper and 1/2 the chopped basil. Add about 1/2 cup of chicken stock and the 1/2 cup chutney. Cook until fragrant, about 10-12 minutes. Use a lid and lower the heat if if the vegetables need more time. Add extra broth and sauce if too much has evaporated. Serve as is or over potato, rice or pasta or polenta.
If cooking sausages on the grill, use the olive oil for the sauté pan and cook the vegetables as described above. Serve along side the sliced sausages.