- 1/2 cup (84 g) dry quinoa (red or white)
- 1 cup (240 ml) vegetable stock (or sub water, but it will have less flavor)
- 5 ounces (142 g) mixed salad greens
- 1/2 cup (70 g) roasted unsalted hazelnuts
- 1/2 cup (80 g ) blueberries
- 1 Tbsp (15 ml) grape seed oil
- 2 shallots, minced (or sub 1/2 cup sweet yellow onion)
- 1/3 cup (80 ml) balsamic vinegar
- 1 Tbsp (15 ml) maple syrup (or honey if not vegan)
- 1-2 Tbsp (15-30 ml) olive oil (or sub more
- Pinch each salt and pepper
- 1/3 cup (53 g) blueberries
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cooking Time: 20 minutes
Prepare quinoa by rinsing thoroughly with cool water in a fine mesh strainer. Then add to a small saucepan with vegetable stock (or water) and bring to a boil over high heat.
Once boiling, reduce heat to low, cover, and simmer for 15-20 minutes, or until liquid is absorbed and quinoa is fluffy like rice. Remove from heat and set aside to cool slightly.
In the meantime, prepare dressing by heating a small skillet over medium heat. Once hot, add 1 Tbsp grape seed oil, shallot, and sauté until tender and slightly caramelized – about 5 minutes – stirring often. Remove from heat to cool.
Add shallot to a food processor or blender with balsamic vinegar, olive oil, blueberries, maple syrup, and a pinch each salt and pepper. Blend until pureed, scraping down sides as needed. Taste and adjust seasonings as needed.
To plate, top the mixed greens with slightly cooled quinoa (you may not use it all), blueberries and hazelnuts. Serve with dressing. Best when fresh.
Thank you to Minimalist Baker for the recipe and photo.